Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: filmscanners: Photoshop 5 LE files darker than they look
From: "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 01:08:57 -0500

Peter Klein posts:
> All this means that basically Adobe has made sure that a
serious
> photographer who uses Windows will have to buy the full
$600 Photoshop, or  make the choice between:

<<SNIP><SNIP><SNIP>>>

Peter,
I've followed your postings, and I do understand your desire
to get the best picture on the screen you can.  A couple of
suggestions.  Photoshop is vastly less expensive in an
academic version.  All you need to buy it that way is a
student ID.

Why not register for some classes at a local University, or
even University classes by computer?  Then you can legally
buy Photoshop and many other heftily priced softwares at
bookstore rates, or from the online marketers and catalogs
at Educational rates.

There must be some subject that you would like to become
better grounded in.  My own University has dozens of classes
you can take over the internet:  http://www.nsula.edu/ensu/

If that is not to your taste, let me suggest an online
auction.  You can often buy a fully legal version of
Photoshop 5.5 for under $200.  It will do what you need. PS6
can be had too, but I can't vouch for their legality.  You
might investigate.

As far as Ulead and Paintshop Pro and all those . . .  well,
they work, but they just are not as robust a product, IMHO.
The learning curves are just as high, but they all fall
short in features.

That said, I really can't understand your complaints about
Photoshop LE. The program is mostly available free with
scanners and printers and other hardware, and the whole
point of LE Photoshop (or any other Limited Edition) is to
get you interested in buying the big package; essentially a
demo version.

I own a Leica CL.  CL stands for Compact Leica.  I also own
a Leica M6.  The M6 has more features.  (not many, I'll
grant you, but it is more camera.)   I could complain that
the CL is too light compared to my M6, or that it cannot
take the Elmarit 135 . . .  but, I paid far less for it, and
so I do not expect as much out of it.

There are ways to own Photoshop without paying retail, just
as there are ways to own Leicas without paying retail.

Just my Opinion LE.

SonC
http://www.SonC.com