Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux chess photos
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 10:30:30 -0700

Darn it, Rei, you can't go posting pictures that good!  Available light
photos are supposed to be soft and grainy, so you can see that they were
difficult to take!  :-)

Seriously, when one sees pictures taken with recent wide-aperture Leica
glass, a certain mental recalibration is in order.  Except for narrow
depth of field and lighting contrast, a lot of the "look" that tells us
that "this is an available light picture" is missing.  It almost looks
too easy.

Just when I thought I was reasonably satisfied with my outfit, now
you've got me coveting a Noct, a 35/1.4 ASPH and a 90 APO.   SEE WHAT
YOU DID?!!!!

As Mark said, stupendous.

One question--I see some very crisp edges in these photos.  Did you use
higher settings of unsharp mask than you usually do? Or could they be a
result of the developer or contrast boosting in your image editor?

- --Peter Klein
Seattle, WA

> Rei Shinozuka wrote:
> > http://www.shinozuka-family.com/chess
> >
> > lighting was horrible, typical conference room with those
> > cans shooting straight down.
> >
> > if nothing else, the expression of the spectators is fairly amusing.
> > i enjoyed the fact that no one seemed to notice me or the camera.
> >
> > M6 0.85 Classic
> > Noctilux 50/f1.0
> > Fuji Neopan 1600 at EI 640, Xtol(1+3) 11.5 min (too flat, still testing)
> > Exposure: f1.0 1/125-1/250 sec
> >
> > -rei

Mark Rabiner oohed and aahed: