Subject: [Leica] Re: Photoshop 5 LE files darker than they look
From: "Peter A. Klein" <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:42:21 -0700

Folks, it was not my intention to start a Urinol(TM)-propagation
contest.  :-)  Stlll, some interesting points emerged, including the
possibility of Picture Window Pro as a viable alternative.  A digital
darkroom does not have all the requirements of a digital retouching,
alteration and prepress studio, and for the former, PWP seems to have a
lot going for it.

A few points, and then I'm going to drop it.

- - Don't take my grousing so seriously.  I was not casting myself as a
Victim With A Capital V.  I was simply irritated because I read in
several sources that PS LE is basically Photoshop without the CMYK and
professional pre-press functions, and is all many people need.  So I
hadn't counted on having to spend $600 for full Photoshop to avoid
having all my edits emerge in Macintosh gamma. Especially so soon after
acquiring and CLA-ing several pieces of Leica gear.  PS LE's fixed 1.8
gamma issue is a real roadblock.  There are ways around it, but it's a
pain.

- - $600 is not pocket change.  Some of us stretch our budgets to use
Leica.  Some of us use pre-aspheric lenses, old chrome lenses or even
LTM and non-Leica lenses so we can afford Leica stuff at all.  Going
this route, it's quite possible that full Photoshop costs the same or
less than one's most expensive lens.

- - It's hardly useful to project one's feelings about midlife crises and
class distinctions on others.  All of us are individuals, not mere
statistical fodder for your particular world-view.  Especially on the
LUG, where everybody's individual, and some are more individual than
others.  :-)

- - I don't use Leica as to bolster others' perception of my class status,
or because of any midlife crisis.  I just focus better with a
rangefinder, and Leica is a better camera for the kind of photography I
like to do.  The cameras feel and handle beautifully and the lenses are
wonderful.  Any further cachet from the Leica moniker is only icing on
the cake.

- --Peter

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] Luggnuts in town)