Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica announces $500 rebate on O Series
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 13:55:08 -0500

George

I have a Zeiss 50/1.4 and it's a mighty fine performer, right down to f1.4.
Actually, I think you can find them used for about $150 now. OTOH, it
doesn't have the same robust feel as my 50/2 Summicron R.

When I used Contax system I definately felt that the German made lenses were
mechanically better than those made in Japan. I know this is debatable, but
I base that opinion on actual use. I still have an Contax 85/1.4 and 60/2.8
Makro Planar. Both are rock solid. Both are German made. I also have 50/1.4
and 35/2.8, both of which are Japanese made. The 35/2.8 front element is
scratched to heck, but it still cranks out an impressive image. I use it
when I enter the "Danger to Camera" zone. I sold all the newer Contax MM
lenses I had, all of which were Japanese made.

I've never taken apart any lenses. So I don't really know what's inside. But
just in using them I thought the German, Canadian, and even Japanese made
Lieca lenses felt sturdier than the Japanese Contax lenses. Perhaps I'm
making too much of that, as the older MF Nikkors also felt sturdier than
many of the newer AF versions. Optically, most mid to high range lenses are
pretty good, but I wonder about the longevity of some under heavy use.

Also, I never had much luck with Contax bodies. If I had a decent Contax
body I'd probably use the 50/1.4 Planar more. It performs as well as the
50/2 Summicron R in my eyes. A used 50/1.4 on an Aria body would be pretty
sweet to own. Unless, like me, you can never escape the call of the Leica.

I checked out the "O". Didn't do much for me. I can't live with an f3.5 lens
- -- especially one that won't accept my current filters or lens shades -- no
matter how good it might be.

Dave