Subject: [Leica] Contax, Leica and value
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:59:36 -0500

George,

>>In terms of value, even though I'm divested from Contax, I think the
system
represents a superb value.  Optically equivalent lenses for Leica R almost
inevitably cost many times that of the Zeiss system.  That's not to put down
Leica, it's just a fact.<<

I agree wholeheartedly. Older Contax is like Canon FD; excellent equipment
available at bargain prices. I just saw a mint Canon F1 and 85/1.2 for a
rediculously low price. My buying days are over, but I was tempted. They
don't come much better than that body and that lens for portraiture.

I originally used Contax with my Hasselblad. Zeiss lenses, whether for
Contax or Hasselblad, seem to have a very similar color balance. At one time
that was important to me. Couldn't say the same about color balance with my
Nikon lenses -- not just between Nikon and Hasselblad, but even within the
Nikon line.

My R7 is probably my favorite SLR body, of all the bodies I've owned and
sued. Hard to believe the R7's listed for $2,700 at one time.  I was looking
for an R6 but found a new R7 at a price I couldn't refuse. It's been low
maintenance. A workhorse that's got everything I need. I'm sooooo glad to
have the R7 over an R6.2! Auto exposure, ttl flash and lenses longer than
50mm are the reasons I'll use an SLR instead of an M. Best of all, the R7
barely nibbles at batteries.  One set of batteries in my R7 will outlast 3
sets in my M6, and I use them about equally. I've got a thing about cameras
that eat batteries, and a fondness for those that don't!

Dave