Subject: Re: [Leica] wk34/sl
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 16:00:26 -0500

Aram Langhans writes:

> Hi Steve.
>
> I am just curious, as I have never been a brave sort to take these kinds of
> photos.  How does one go about getting this kind of shot?

I wish there were a simple explanation to explain this, except, there is no
explanation because I just go and take them. And 99% of the the time I do
not even talk to the people that I take pictures of on the street and I do
not ask for permission. If I did that it would no longer be street
photography. If I asked for permission, they would pose then it would become
a snapshot instead of a candid portrait.

> Does one offer
> money as obviously he probably has a hat of sorts for donations.

In the case of street musicians I will throw some money into the hat and
that is only fair.

>  Do you
> offer him a copy of the print?

I would if they asked (the musicians, probably not anybody else).

> I know there are all kinds of musicians around the Pike Place Market in
> Seattle, one of my favorite places to visit when I am there, and they are
> "begging" me to take their photo, but I never have the nerve to shove a
> camera in their direction.

You will never know till you try it. And a bit of advice, once you decide to
do it muster up as much self confidence as possible because if you are
tenative about it your pictures will show it. For example make a decision
that this Saturday you WILL go to Pike Place Market to take candid pictures
of the musicians. The night before while in bed before going to sleep, pysch
yourself up, as you lay there map out in your mind the kind of shot you want
to get. Then the next day use a 50mm lens (close but not to close) or even
larger. Then when taking the pictures block out everything else, focus your
mind on the pictures. Pretend you have been doing this for years and just
dive in, you will be surprised.

> I guess I just lack what it takes to be a
> "street photographer".
> Aram

If that is what you think then you will NEVER be a Street Photographer.
Having said all this you might be surprised to find out that I am one of the
shyest people you could ever meet. But I also know that people are to busy
with their lives to worry about some street photographer taking their
picture.

sl

PS
Next weeks PAW will be an outdoor religous service where I was two feet from
the subject.