Subject: Re: [Leica] Dave Beckerman has switched to Leica
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 16:45:37 -0400

on 8/29/01 3:24 PM, B. D. Colen at bdcolen@earthlink.net wrote:

> Come on, JD - First off, let's talk about what a Yashica cost new v what
> a Rollei or Hassy costs new...

why? I've never bought any piece of Leica equipment new except for a
baseplate. And I've lost a lot more money on used non-Leica stuff because it
doesn't hold its value.

> Second - of course HCB used the best equipment available to him - but by
> today's standards that equipment was pretty crappy, yet he produced some
> pretty amazing images.

crappy? what was crappy about it? most of the stuff he used I'd be happy to
use today.

> And, having sort of played guitar myself, and knowing what it means to
> move up from a Japanese knock-off of a Martin D-35 to a Martin D-35, I
> would argue that there is a much greater, instantly discernable,
> difference between the cheapo guitar and real quality, than there is
> between brand X lens and Brand lens.

Only to guitarists. Your average Joe Cassette Tape couldn't tell a Les Paul
from a Rickenbacker, though you or I could with our eyes closed. Ditto
lenses to photographers. I can spot what I think of as good tonality and
bokeh and all the rest of it a mile off.

> As to "magnificent." For now I'll settle for solidly, and reliably,
> "good," and I'm not ready to hang up my cameras.

The good is the enemy of the best! Whatever that means.

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com

ICQ: 109343205