Subject: [Leica] lense is indeed an acceptable spelling of lens...
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:59:19 -0400

herbert kanner sed:

>A few months ago, I violated all the rules of good behavior on the
>rec.photo.equipment.35mm newsgroup by criticizing spelling: I just
>got fed up at seeing "lense."  So, my good natured protest was
>answered by: "Yank, idiot.  That's how it's spelled in the UK.  I've
>been spelling it that way for 50 years."  So, I responded stating
>that the Compact Oxford English Dictionary did not allow that
>spelling.  Answer: "That's a very abridged dictionary."

i don't know why this seems to come up all the time, but it does ...
anyway ... my mirriam websters collegiate dictionary (an american edition
even) does indeed list "lense" as an accepted alternate spelling to
"lens". i checked, and it's on their web version as well
(www.yourdictionary.com):

Main Entry: 1lens
Function: noun
Etymology: New Latin lent-, lens, from Latin, lentil; from its shape
Date: 1693
Variant(s): also lense /'lenz/
1 a : a piece of transparent material (as glass) that has two opposite
regular surfaces either both curved or one curved and the other plane and
that is used either singly or combined in an optical instrument for
forming an image by focusing rays of light b : a combination of two or
more simple lenses c : a piece of glass or plastic used (as in safety
goggles or sunglasses) to protect the eye
2 : a device for directing or focusing radiation other than light (as
sound waves, radio microwaves, or electrons)
3 : something shaped like a biconvex optical lens
4 : a highly transparent biconvex lens-shaped or nearly spherical body in
the eye that focuses light rays (as upon the retina)
5 : something that facilitates and influences perception, comprehension,
or evaluation
- - lensed /'lenzd/ adjective
- - lens.less /'lenz-l&s/ adjective