Subject: Re: [Leica] I wish Leica would do this!!!
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 09:20:14 -0400

With all due respect, Henning - and a great deal is due :-), I don't
really find this anywhere as tacky as the Leica special editions. No one
in his or her right mind is attempting to do "stealth" work with a
Hasselblad. In fact, I would bet that most Hasselblads that are not
owned by dentists are used either in the studio, or are used to do what
might be termed "studio work on location." Much of that work is fashion
photography, and product shooting that calls for a "stylist's"
involvement. That being the case, a "jazzy" colored camera makes some
sense - if you can't hide it, flaunt it.

The commemorative Leicas, on the other hand - the LHSA black being a
partial exception - are designed for one thing and one thing only - for
the owner to be able to say, look at me! I'm rich! I know there are
people who will disagree with that statement, and have all sorts of
rationale regarding collectibility, etc. etc. But in terms of
collectibility, the commemorative Leicas are really nothing more than
VERY expensive Franklin Mint Elvis plates. At least that's my never
humble opinion.

B. D.

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] I wish Leica would do this!!!)
Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] I wish Leica would do this!!!)