Subject: Re: [Leica] lower classes don't use leicas?
From: "Mxsmanic" <mxsmanic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 11:06:23 +0200

Tarek writes:

- ----- Original Message -----
From: "Tarek Charara" <tarek.charara@wanadoo.fr>
To: <leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Sent: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 02:16

> le 03.09.2001 21:55, Mxsmanic à mxsmanic@hotmail.com a écrit :
>
> > Tarek writes:
> >
> >> If you build your business around ONE camera that
> >> may need servicing every now and then...
> >
> > A lot of people build their businesses around one truck, or one musical
> > instrument, or one boat ... or one camera.  How many cameras does a
> > photographer
> > have to have before he can be "professional"?
>
> A lot of people also go out of business because
> of how they conduct their business.

Yes, but there is little overlap or correlation between those who go out of
business for that reason and those who do not have redundant equipment or plant
resources.  Most people with only one truck upon which they must depend do not
go out of business if the truck breaks down ... because trucks can be fixed in
less than a day.  And they do not buy spare trucks because trucks are too
expensive to make that cost-effective.  Leica cameras are somewhat similar to
trucks, except that they cannot be serviced in one day, and so anyone who must
depend on a single, expensive Leica camera for work may go under if it fails,
simply because he cannot get it fixed quickly enough to stay in business.

> Having two or three bodies while on assignment is
> a way of securing my job and minimizing the risks
> of hardware failure.

Perhaps you have unlimited capital to invest.  Most businesspeople don't,
however; indeed, if they did, they wouldn't have to work for a living.

> What a joke! You tell me how to get any camera body
> repaired in the middle of nowhere ...

Most photographers do not work in the middle of nowhere, as there is very little
demand for photographers in such places.