Subject: Re: [Leica] Domke J803
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 10:20:27 -0700

Glazers in Seattle had several J803s in stock when I was last there a week
ago:

http://www.glazerscamera.com/
1-888-531-3232

One thing to note about all the Domkes is that, while they are great to work
out of, they do not provide adequate protection in harsh environments.  In
the Sahara last year, I had to be careful to wrap the 803 in something,
otherwise quite a bit of fine dust would get inside.  A great addition to
the design would be a thin zipper closure just under the top flap that could
be velcro-ed out of the way when you don't need it.  Also, the 803 doesn't
provide much shock protection for bouncing around on the back seat of a Land
Rover while racing across the hamada!  But for walking around and shooting,
it is ideal.

When I head back to North Africa this fall, I'm taking an old Lowe Magnum
bag, that is well-padded and can be well sealed with its zipper and, if
necessary, the AW hood.

- --Jim