Subject: Re: [Leica] Did Kodak at one time beat Leica in terms of lensquality???
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 19:00:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/01 3:59:27 PM, msmall@roanoke.infi.net writes:

>The better Kodak lenses are still really competitive, and a lot of them
>are
>
>still being used profesionally in LF and MF cameras.  I have a
>
>Tessar-derived Ektar in my Baby Speed Graphic which I am itching to try
>
>out, once I find a film back and cut down some film.

Marc,
I hope you find a film back soon, I think you'll like your lens.  I use a
couple Ektars with a 4x5 field camera-100mm Wide Field Ektar and a 203mm
Ektar.  Compared to modern lenses they are tiny and light weight-make my kit
much easier to carry.  They also have good contrast and sharpness.  I only
shoot black and white and don't know how they would be with color film.  I
think the area they fall short in compared to the best of the new is in
coverage, their image circle is significantly smaller.
Richard Wasserman