Subject: Re: [Leica] Witch-hunts
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 20:30:00 EDT

In a message dated 9/4/01 3:58:20 PM, reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

>For the rest of you, I'll repeat the same thing I say every time: express
>scorn with silence. If you think Anthony is a(n) *#&$^$^#, then express
>this by ignoring him and not by engaging him. Even if you win a fight with
>a tar baby you are still covered with tar.

Anthony has made some interesting points, perhaps the most thought provoking
(to me

                   at least) were his observations on list behaviour and what
is actually discussed on LUG.

I don't read most of his posts, quite frankly I don't have the time to read
most posts...I scan for topics or threads that sound interesting and then try
and savour those.  But I agree that unless someone completely oversteps the
boundaries of reasonable behaviour they  shouldn't be kicked off the list.
Constant argumentation, though irritating, isn't really unreasonable.  As a
matter of fact, many folks prone to unfettered argumentation make large
salaries as attornies or politicians.

In the last "dim-witted" thread I quite strongly disagreed with what I
thought was a narrow sighted, elistist perception on Anthony's part.  I
countered it with my opinion and that's that.  It's the internet folks and
it's not terribly likely that a single post is going to change anyone's
lifelong belief system.

As far as process goes,  in the best of the web we are all relatively
respectful characters who even though we may disagree (and at times hopefully
heatedly so) we are still willing to engage in dialogue (ie, respectfully
listening and then responding) rather than fighting.   I'm not sure yet, if
Anthony is capable of intelligent dialogue rather than simply intelligent
provocation, but if he isn't he certainly isn't alone on this list.   What's
more, even if he isn't capable or interested in the process of dialogue, I
don't think that he should be targeted as a "Survivor Outcast," because quite
frankly, many of us are still learning how to respectfully listen and respond
to another's opinion.

For those that find MxsManic infinitely repulsive there is always the filter
route, and thus that would be the best way not to raise one's blood pressure
if that's the case.

Lastly, Brian, I want to thank you for what you've done in administering the
list.  I'm now, in part due to the positive information that flows from here,
completely attached to my constant companion of an M6.  For me it's not a
status symbol, but rather a tool that I really find myself reaching for again
and again despite the fact that I've only had it for a little over a year
now.  Besides buying all my equipment from either members on the list or
those who advertise via the list, I've gotten an amazing amount of technical
knowledge as it relates to film, chemistry, as well as pure Leica info.  So
thanks again for putting in the energy it takes to keep the LUG running.

Kim