Subject: Re: [Leica] Hong Kong Leica Shopping
From: "Peter Choy" <pmcchoy@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Sep 2001 21:55:14 -0700

Greg Rubenstein <gcr910@msn.com> wrote,

> Under the Hyatt on the Kowloon side is a store that's almost exclusively
> Leica and Hassleblad. It's actually under the Hyatt's main entry/driveway at
> street level. Been there several times; don't recall the name, but will try
> to find it for you. Also know that it's reputable -- a friend shops there on
> occasion. Please keep in mind that this is the Hyatt on the Kowloon side,
> not the Grand Hyatt next to the magnificant new civic center on the Hong
> Kong side. Even if you don't spend a penny in the shop, the ferry ride
> across the harbour is fun . . . and the noodle parlours are better in that
> neighborhood.

I believe you are describing Cameron Photo on Lock Road -- a cosy shop on
the exterior perimeter of the Hyatt Regency Kowloon, directly across the
road from the big English language bookseller Swindon Books. Cameron is the
smaller (and to my mind preferable) of two adjacent high-end camera shops.
Mr Chin, the agreeable proprietor, sold me my original M6. Ever since, I
have made it a point to stop in whenever I am in Hong Kong, if only to chat,
drink tea and ogle the inventory.  Mr Chin remembers his customers.

And you are right, you can get a tasty bowl of noodles in any number of
little places a few steps up and across the road -- I've done it many times
myself.

rgds
Peter Choy.