Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 13:41:26 -0400

I believe that the poster in question criticized the cluttered, busy
background. And I made the comment that in real life backgrounds often
are cluttered and busy. So if one is going to shoot in real-life
situations, one is often going to get cluttered, busy background. But in
this shot, and in other good "documentary" shots, the subject stands out
enough so that the cluttered background becomes a non-issue. I agree
that the two bands of highlights in the background are a bit annoying.
But I find them annoying not because the photographer didn't eliminate
them completely with shallow depth of field, but, rather, because they
are so muted as to become a little puzzle, making me wonder what they
are, or what's going on.

B. D.