Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:53:08 -0500

> This week's shot is a typical Leica picture: low light, fast lens, fast
> film, no flash, the subjects unaware of being photographed. These are
> two of my co-workers in a bar, shot with the M3 and 50mm Summilux on
> Delta 3200. Exposure was f1.4 at either 1/30 or 1/60 sec.
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/35.jpg
>
> The full PAW index is at
>
> http://www.wajsman.com/
>
> and comments are always welcome and appreciated.
>
> Nathan

I must weigh in on this shot--I love it. This is what the OOF technique is
all about. It happens to good effect all the time in the movies and TV
spots, highlighting the object of the image with an out-of-focus background.
Some people have complained that the OOF background adds confusion, I say
that if the background was in focus there would be much more distraction and
confusion and therefore a much less interesting image. So many people are
hung up on ASPH sharpness they can not think outside the box.

BTW, did anybody notice in Erwin's Newsletter today, he ranks the Summilux
50/1.4 better than the Noctilux under all circumstances.

sl

Replies: Reply from Feliciano di Giorgio <feli@d2.com> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35)
Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35)