Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 20:01:27 -0400

These are good points.  I wasn't seeing "the big picture" so to speak, and
forgot how much my Minolta 9 actually weighs.  Chances are if that were the
only camera I owned I would probably have it left it at home and never had
the opportunity to get that shot.   Which is why I like using my Leicas!
And also why I'm having a great time with my Dimage 7 digicam.  It is so
easy to carry about, I take it with me almost all the time.  Makes great
looking 8x10s on my inkjet printer, but forget about low light shots, such
as the scene in the bar.  Perhaps the next generation.

Sorry for the off-topic plug, I'm just having too much fun with this thing
right now!

dan c.

At 10:17 PM 05-09-01 +0200, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Dan,
>
>You are of course correct in saying that the picture could have been taken
with
>a variety of cameras. The only reason I wrote that it was a typical Leica
>picture is that several of the attributes of the Leica M3 make taking this
kind
>of picture easier than with an SLR:
>
>- the quiet shutter makes it less likely that people will notice you
>- the fast lenses with excellent performance at the widest apertures make it
>possible to refrain from using flash
>- the absence of a flapping mirror makes it possible to handhold the
camera at
>slow speeds, resulting in a lower probability of camera shake
>- the very short shutter lag makes it possible to capture the "decisive
moment"

>Again, all those factors are not strictly necessary to take this picture, but
>they certainly increase the probability of success.
>
>Nathan
[snip]

Message from Dan Cardish <dcardish@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35)