Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 17:03:09 -0700

Steve LeHuray wrote:

> >><Snip>
> >>
> >> BTW, did anybody notice in Erwin's Newsletter today, he ranks the Summilux
> >> 50/1.4 better than the Noctilux under all circumstances.
> >>
> >> sl
> >
> > I think the Noctilux might still win out at F1!
> >
> > but I'd be surprised Erwin saying the Summilux beating out the Noctilux in
> stray
> > artifacts from off camera and on camera light sources as this was what the
> > Noctilux was specifically designed to do as a low light night lens while the
> > Summilux was of course designed for general purposes.
> >

> > Mark Rabiner
> >
> > Portland, Oregon
> > USA
> >
> > http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/
> >
> Maybe, except at 1.4 you can say go from a 60th to a 30th to get the same
> shot the Noct gets at 1.0, and 1.4 is better than 1.0.
>
> sl

Yea but a 60th is better than a 30th

Mark Rabiner

And a 30th is a hell of a lot better than a 15th!
and if you're shooting in those conditions the odds are the special
characteristics of the Noctilux will work in your favour. Not so much a high
resoultion contrast lens but a lens which keeps good separation of tones no
matter what.

http://www.rabiner.cncoffice.com/