Subject: Re: [Leica] Nathan's picture of Week 35
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 21:26:43 -0700 (PDT)

Nathan Wajsman wrote:
Dan,

You are of course correct in saying that the picture could have been
taken with a variety of cameras. The only reason I wrote that it was a
typical Leica picture is that several of the attributes of the Leica M3
make taking this kind of picture easier than with an SLR:

- - - the quiet shutter makes it less likely that people will notice you
- - - the fast lenses with excellent performance at the widest apertures
    make it possible to refrain from using flash
- - - the absence of a flapping mirror makes it possible to handhold the
    camera at slow speeds, resulting in a lower probability of camera
    shake
- - - the very short shutter lag makes it possible to capture the
    "decisive moment"

Again, all those factors are not strictly necessary to take this
picture, but they certainly increase the probability of success.

Very true, Nathan; great shot, by the way!

Folks, I'd advise you NOT to try this with an SLR, even an R8; too
obtrusive and noisy - the stealth just isn't there! I was once
embarrassed in a bar, when trying a similar thing using my R8 with 35
Summicron, without flash but with my elbows resting on a table top for
stability, when I overheard someone complain to one of the bar staff:
"Please ask that guy wearing the gas mask to stop making that horrible
noise with his false teeth!"

Regards and ;-),

=====
Ray