Subject: Re:[Leica] Dante Week Y
From: Peter Klein <pklein@2alpha.net>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 21:54:19 -0700

At 07:13 AM 09/04/2001 -0700, Dante wrote:

>http://www-personal.umich.edu/~dante/paw/settimana.html
>
>[snip]
>There is only one picture of any merit.  Can you tell me which?
>[snip]
>There are a couple indicating to me that a clean 50/1.4 Nikkor-SC is a
>world-beater.

Dante:  I like all three 50/1.4 pictures. But "Olga on Friday night" is the
real eye-grabber.  Nice shot!   If you work on "Olga" further, I'd go for
some real rich, deep black tones in the shadow area of the dress at lower
left.   I might also crop out the gray stripe at the extreme left edge of
the picture.

My perfect-glass 50/1.4 Nikkor SC is at DAG's having a CLA.  Our Northwest
so-called summer is about to end, so I hope the Nikkor comes back home
soon.  I'm looking forward to shooting with it wide open.  Those photos
remind me that it's nothing to be ashamed of, even if it isn't made by Leica.

An article on the LHSA site on the collapsible 50mm Summicron compares that
lens to the the 50/1.4 Nikkor, and mentions a full article about the Nikkor
from the 1996 "Viewfinder" #2.  Would you (or anyone else on the list) have
this article?  I'd like to read it.

- --Peter Klein
Seattle