Subject: Re:[Leica] Opinions: Leica 280mm F2.8 APO Telyt Lens
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 07:14:25 -0400

Greg,
    As the proud owner of one of the very first 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R
lenses, after testing one of the prototypes for Leica in 1984. I can tell
you there is the only change between it and the "second version" is the
addition of a Series 5.5 filter slot.  A circular polarizer was made for
this lens. Unfortunately, the older lenses can not be converted to take the
filter holder.
    Both lenses take a rather large 112mm filters, but you can easily cut
gelatin filters and fit them in the back of the lens which is what I do when
necessary.
    I can not comment on the modular version, as I have not had a chance to
really work with one. But I do not think the optical formula changed.
    The 280mm is an excellent lens, I find it much more useful than the
350mm f/4.8. As you know the 350mm is a very good lens, but in my world of
100 ASA transparency film, it lacks sufficient f/stop.
Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.
Philadelphia, PA