Subject: Re: [Leica] printing question
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2001 09:48:59 -0500

>Presently I have dixactol film developer. I have two questions
>1) can I use it as a paper developer?
>2) Can I use dixactol to develop TriX or IP4 Plus?
>Thank you in advance
>vipul

I don't know about using it as a paper developer.

You can use it to develop film, thats what it is intended for.

Dixactol gives a high level of compensation, high sharpness and pretty
much normal flm speed. Great for shooting outdoors in harsh light. (IMO)
You will get a substantial compensating effect using Diaxctol either 1
bath or 2 bath. (the 1 bath is the preferred method)

TriX in 35mm is pretty grainy and has fairly high base fog in this
developer. FP4 should be better than TriX (in 35) because of the finer
grain. (I have not tried FP4) HP5+ stains really well in Diaxctol. I use
it from time to time with Delta 400. It is suggested by it formulator,
Barry Thornton, to give best results in 35mm with Delta 100.

I think its better in MF than 35mm becasue the grain is less noticeable.

read more at:

http://www.barrythornton.com

Henry Ambrose