Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 280mm f/2.8 APO-Telyt-R
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 06:13:03 -0700

Sal DiMarco,Jr. wrote:
>>>     From extensive personal experience with this lens, I had definitely
> state the lens is SHARP wide open.<<<<

Hi Sal,
I have to concur, as this is one of my hardest working lenses since 1984
when it came out and like you, I was the first to have one in use in Canada
on a regular basis.

Used wide open it's amazingly crisp and sharp. And this is during hand held
shooting and not fiddling with testing it. As in many of my photographs I
like to use the highest possible shutter speed and the widest possible
aperture and the 280 2.8 is a solid film cutting image maker used in that
manner.

And if one owns the book "75 Years of Leica Photography" look at page 280
for an example of the 280 in action as the winner crosses the finish line
during the 1988 Olympic 100 meter race.

Adding to the quality of the lens is the 1.4 extender which makes this an
amazingly fine 400mm f 4.0 that holds it's own against many prime 400's of
any make.  And with the 1.4 attached you have absolutely no loss of quality
while the lens stays hand holdable.

Even using the 2X to produce a 560, f 5.6 there isn't any discernable loss.
But to get really carried away attach both 1.4 and 2X, that gives you an
800mm f 8.0 that has produced and saved my butt for long lens images on many
occasions.

Yeah yeah I know Leica tell you not to do that, well they tell people lots
of things not to do, but don' t believe it, as it works very well.  And
surprise.... you can still hand hold it! ;-)

If one is available at a good price grab it, you wont be sorry and if you
don't like I bet you can sell it for a profit.

ted
Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant