Subject: Re: [Leica] Using Leicas for sports/action photography?
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:49:56 -0500

John David Emmett wrote:
> > So does anyone have tips for shooting sports with an m6?

Of course, it all depends on what sport you are shooting.  Many sports
require access from the management of the event to get you close
enough to do any good with an M6.

The camera shines when it comes to wide angle, close up stuff, but if
you're shooting with one if the 135mm lenses, the only advantage I can
see is no mirror blackout.  Even the advantage of seeing stuff before
it enters the frameline is not there with the Elmarit 135.

I like the M6 (in addition to an R) on the sidelines of a football
game, for all the reasons I like it off the field.  If you're taking
shots of the crowd near the rail, or players and coaches in a tactical
discussion,  they don't see the camera as intruding.   For night
games, where the light falls off on the sidelines, the M cameras
really come into their own.

Other sports, like bicycle racing,  off-track running events,
motorcycle hill climbs . . .  all others that let the spectator near,
lend themselves to M shooting.  The ideal, of course is to use a pair
of cameras.  The M for atmosphere or  "color,"  and your choice of
reflex cameras for the dramatic close-ups.

The key, is to not load yourself down with gear, so you can move
about.

By the way, recently enforced  NCAA football rules require photogs to
stay behind the one yard hash mark from the sidelines, and refs (at
least hereabouts) are sticking to that.  I'd say that if you maintain
a congenial attitude, you can sneak over the line sometimes, but stay
off the field of play!

The days are pretty much over that you can lean your elbows on the
floor of a prizefighting ring to steady your speed graphic, but here's
one tip for shooting boxing, if you're not an expert in the sport.
Take your cues from the crowd; When they get excited, you should get
ready.  Boxing (usually) has no dramatic punches coming from out of
nowhere.  The crowd  is an excellent barometer of coming storm.
Listen to them, and you'll do well.

Regards.

SonC
http://www.sonc.com

"You can't always get what you want, but if you try,
sometimes you might just find you can get what you need."
The Stones