Subject: [Leica] Technology and Art
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 13:44:28 -0500

Johnny,

Or wait a year and buy the 14-bit USB/Firewire model for an insane deal!

Sorry, but every time I see something that was "top of the line" a year ago,
and now it's in the bargain bin (an all too common occurence) it strikes me
funny. The value seems so short term and it makes me reluctant to buy in.

Here's my angst. The optimist in me says it's great because it means there's
even something better out there. But the pessimest in me asks, "what does it
matter? I still haven't even learned how to fully utilize my LS-30."

I've really tried to place more focus more on technical skills, and less on
tools. That may sound like a contradiction, since I'm an avid Leica user.
But frankly, using Leica has never made me a better photographer. The main
thing it did was stop me from using hardware as an excuse for failing to hit
the mark.

I'm probably way off base here, but I've been looking at fine art ink jet
prints vs conventional silver prints (and even C prints). Even though
digital and conventional look the same to me, conventional prints just seem
to have more value. That's just my gut feeling, and again I could be way
off.

I'm struggling over which direction I want to go -- digital or conventional.
It's difficult to stay on top of both. It's almost like the autofocus vs
manual focus dilemna I faced a decade ago. After a couple years with AF, I'm
back to MF. I haven't let go completely of conventional printing.

Dave