Subject: [Leica] Leicas at the Post Exchange
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:22:34 -0400

At 02:11 PM 9/10/01 -0500, Jeffery Smith wrote:
>In San Diego, the Commissary seemed to deal in one brand name to the
>exclusion of others, and the brand names seemed to change from time to
>time. So, if you wanted a tape recorder, it as Akai. If you wanted a
>receiver, it was Sansui. I don't know of anyone buying a Leica there,
>but I know they had the Mamiya 500TL and the Yashica D. I know of
>someone getting a Petri there too. Most of the cameras were more
>"consumer" level than pro level.

Jeffery

The deal about Leica in the PX (NOT the Commissary:  that's where you buy
food, while the Class Six Store is where you buy your Lagavulin) was in the
late 1940's and early 1950's in Europe and never extended to CONUS.

When the US PX system was being set up in Europe in 1945, Leitz and Franke
& Heidecke were the only camera companies available to supply the system so
they received exclusive contracts for about a decade.  This gave both
companies a huge boost in sales and ready income at a time when Zeiss Ikon
and Ihagee were both struggling most mightily.  By 1960, this preference
was gone and the Leica and Rolleiflex cameras were priced out of the PX
system.  By the 1980's, PX's were a great source for the swathe of amateur
Canon and Nikon gear but even that is gone today;  the water-down PX's now
only sell bottom-end digital cameras and single-use jobbies, along with
loud and cheap clothing and pasteboard furniture.

The PX's in the Orient picked up Nikon and Canon gear when the ETO got
Leicas and Rolleiflexes.  Again, by about 1960, the better stuff had been
replaced by cheaper cameras.

(The USAF and US Army have a consolidated "Army/Air Force Exchange System"
or AAFES, while the US Navy has a separate system of Base Exchanges quite
similar in nature.)

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!