Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop burn/dodge tip
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:42:30 -0400

on 9/10/01 9:12 PM, Aram Langhans at alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu
wrote:

> Having only been reading LUG for a few months, I don't know if Shutterbug is
> held in the same contempt as it is on other photography newsgroups, but this
> article (page 112 - Another Option Dodging and Burning-In with Photoshop by
> Darryl C. Nicholas) is a great one for those of us who are trying to master
> the digital world of photography.  It involves modifying and merging layers.
> Cool Beans.

FWIW all of my fine burning and dodging these days is done using the history
brush method. I can't remember where I first saw this but you basically use
a curves move to either lighten or darken a rough selection, set the history
brush to paint from the current state, then click on the previous state to
return the image to its original tonality. Now you can paint in the
darker/lighter section carefully using the history brush and opacity set to
25-50%. Works in 16-bit mode in PS 6.0, which is one reason why it's so
handy.
- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com