Subject: Re: [Leica] Kodachome processing
From: "Jim Laurel" <JimLaurel@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 20:09:06 -0700

Ken, I know how you're feeling as I am also a long time fan of Kodachrome.
My perception was tainted a long time ago when I used to process E4 at the
base photo labs on Clark Field.  But E6 is a huge improvement and there is a
lot of variety.  You're sure to find something you'll like.  My last
experience shooting Kodachrome was like yours - film came back from Kodak
dirty and with scratches.

Another consolation is that, from what I understand, there were serious
environmental concerns about the Kodachrome chemistry.  Back in Honolulu, we
used to have a lab on King street that did Kodachrome.  It was great because
you could drop it off at one of the local pro shops and get your film the
next day.  The lab was closed down back around 1994.  I can't say for sure
whether this is true, but the rumour in the photographic community was that
it was shut down for environmental reasons.

Can anyone on the list comment on the K14 process as it relates to
environmental issues?

- --Jim