Subject: Re: [Leica] we're ok
From: Johnny Deadman <john@pinkheadedbug.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 13:56:56 -0400

on 9/12/01 12:56 PM, Austin Franklin at darkroom@ix.netcom.com wrote:

>> the problem is with defining terrorism
>
> Was planting a bomb at the base of the WTC in 1993 terrorism?
>
> Was blowing up a plane over Scotland terrorism?
>
> Was flying a plane into the WTC terrorism?
>
> Was flying a plane into the Pentagon terrorism?
>
> I have NO problem defining terrorism.

so what? you chose the easy examples

Now do the same thing with the difficult ones.

Is the intifada terrorism?

What about the chimurenga resistance in Zimbabwe?

The Chechnyan uprising against the Russians?

The Tamil Tigers?

What about Boer resistance to the British in South Africa at the turn of the
century?

What about the American War of Independence?

What about the Indian wars?

perhaps you are tempted to single out attacks against civilians?

consider Dresden, Coventry and Hiroshima.

terrorism is in the eye of the beholder

it is not a particularly useful word

all I am saying is that war is a more useful word. much clearer, whether you
agree with it or disagree with it. in this respect, the way the debate has
moved on is helpful

- --
John Brownlow

http://www.pinkheadedbug.com