Subject: Re: [Leica] we're ok
From: Teresa299@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 21:33:38 EDT

In a message dated 9/12/01 3:16:05 AM, bdcolen2001@yahoo.ca writes:

>This is indeed the time to be discussing the high
>explosives of vengeance, because if the U.S. does not
>retaliate, and retaliate in a massive way, Tuesday's
>horror will be repeated over and over.

Retaliation will be satisfying to some, but don't think that retaliation
alone will stop terrorism.  Just look at Israel.  They have a top notch
intelligence operation as well as special ops units that put the NSA, CIA and
US forces to shame.  They have "taken out" (killed/assasinated) a large
number of real, suspected terrorists as well as a number of unfortunate
innocents (in the form of so-called collateral damage).  Even with all of
Israel's proactive as well as retaliatory killing, terrorism is still a major
fact of life there.  Why?  Because you can take out one or two or even ten to
fifty terrorists, but if the refugee camps are breeding fifty to sixty to
replace them, then you really haven't succeeded in eradicating the causes of
terrorism, have you?

The sad fact is that there are a number of people who are willing to kill
themselves in order to further their cause/s.   This time the weapons were
airliners, next time bombs, nuclear devices, a barge, whatever.   The US
could put a cop on every corner of every intersection in every state and that
still wouldn't stop those compelled to give their lives for their cause.    I
would suggest that retaliation will be a "feel good" remedy that will
rightfully allow those who have lost loved ones to feel some sense of
"justice."  But I wouldn't even begin to imagine that such retaliation, no
matter how severe or ramboesque is going to match what is compelling those to
become suicide bombers in the first place--since they are suicide
terrorists--and thus, already willing to pay the ultimate price.

Respectfully,
Kim