Subject: Re: [Leica] Photoshop burn/dodge tip
From: "Aram Langhans" <alanghans@komoto.naches.wednet.edu>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 06:20:27 -0700

Now that we are open for business again, I'll send this one more time.

>> article (page 112 - Another Option Dodging and Burning-In with
>> Photoshop by
>> Darryl C. Nicholas) is a great one for those of us who are trying to
>>  master
>> the digital world of photography.  It involves modifying and merging
>>  layers.
>> Cool Beans.
>>
> Is it possible to post the essence of the procedure?
>
> George

George.  I'll try.

You start out with am image in which the highlights and midtones look just
fine and all it needs is some burning in of the shadows.

  1.  Make an exact copy of your file under a different name  and save it.
  2.  Load both the copy and the original.
  3.  Make the copy your active image.  Use the Image, Adjust,
 Brightness/Contrast control to lighten the shadow areas to what you would
 want them to appear like in the final print.
  4.  Make the unaltered image your active image.  Select All and then copy
 the image to the clipboard.
  6.  Make the lightened image the active image.   Paste the unaltered image
 on top of the lightened one.
  7.  Now the trick.  Use the Erasure tool and select the size brush you
want
 and use the fuzzy edged brushes.  Set Opacity to a low setting, like 25%.
  8.  Using this Erasure brush, just erase the dark sections in the
unaltered
 image.  that will allow the lower layer with the lightened shadows shine
 through.
  9. When you have erased all the shadows and the photo looks the way you
 want it to, just merge the layers using the Layers, Flatten Image option
and
 save your results.

  I think that about covers it, George.  Give it a try.  I suppose you could
  burn in areas this way, too???   I am not an expert, but I might see what
  can do using this technique.

  Just so I cover my sources again:  Shutterbug Magazine.  September 2001,
  Page 112.

  Aram