Subject: Re: [Leica] Thoughts about cameras and the new aviation rules
From: Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2001 18:40:24 -0700

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> I always put my film in lead bags when going through airports. When I'm
> carrying 1600 and 3200 I double-bag it. On some trips I've had to go through
> three carry-on xray screenings per flight, with a total of 12 or 15
> screenings before returning. No signs of trouble-- yet.
> --

If your lead bags are in carry on I think you are safe. In many airports the
xray machines for checked baggage automatically increase xray intensity until
all suspicous objects are identifiable. An opaque, to xrays, bag is suspicous.
All film will be fogged. This is a known fact and many warnings have been
published.

I do not believe the machines for carry on baggage can be turned up (probably to
protect the operator and passengers). If it looks suspicious they open the bag
and inspect. This is what Tina does to ensure hand inspection if it is refused.
Put the film in the shielded bag then open it for hand inspection if the xray
operator doesn't like what is seen on their screen.

It is simply going to take some time for changes to settle out.

Dennis