Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New aviation rules
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 11:40:31 -0700

on 9/19/01 10:50 AM, John Collier at jbcollier@powersurfr.com thoughtfully
wrote:

> As a parent who has travelled with infants, there were times when I would
> have put them in checked luggage with a song in my heart. Unfortunately the
> airlines in question refused.

I can relate.

The worst scare of my life on an airplane came years and years ago when I
was flying from San Francisco to Los Angeles on a 727. They were new then
and perhaps some readers will remember that they had a few early crashes.

Like most Boeing aircraft they have elaborate high-lift devices that deploy
as the aircraft lands. The joke at the time amongst pilots was that you
didn't so much apply 3/4 flaps as you asked for 3/4 wing disassembly.

As we began to descend and the pilot did apply full flaps a small child
screamed from the back of the plane "The wing's coming apart. The wing's
coming apart." There was a brief moment of panic before the flight crew got
the word out that things were okay. It wasn't much longer afterwards that we
began to be warned about the "thunk" of the wheels retracting and that these
were the normal sounds of the airplane.

It was NOT a happy few moments.

Adam Bridge