Subject: Re: [Leica] soft release
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:04:41 EDT

In a message dated 9/21/01 9:51:29 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
david.rodgers@xo.com writes:

<< The Rapidgrip doesn't have a tripod socket on the bottom. The Leica grip
 does. The Rapidgrip has a spare battery compartment built in. The Lieca grip
 doesn't.

 When I bought the Rapidgrip I was disappointed by the lack of a tripod
 socket. I thought I would miss it. I don't miss it, and I find the spare
 battery compartment much more useful. I also like the feel of the Rapidgrip
 better than I do the Leica grip. It's a great accessory and I use my
 RapidGrip all the time.

 I didn't use the soft release socket on the Rapidgrip for a spare. I used it
 as a holder when I didn't want my soft release  on the camera (for instance,
 when the body was stored in my bag).

 I lost my soft release and haven't replaced it yet. I probably need to buy a
 half dozen. They're great, but they seem to escape easily.

 Dave

Dave,
The reason for the loosening is that the thread in the cable release
attachment is very "crude" - it is only about 2 ½ turns from loose to lock
and that makes it difficult to tighten  the Softie down hard. I double-check
once in a while that  my Softie is tightly screwed in. I have also been using
 LocTite on some of my Softies to keep them in place. It works well, but you
have to be careful when you apply it, or you could have a permanent locked
shutter release. One trick that seems to work  too is to paint the thread
with nail polish (red of course, to match the Red Dot) and let it dry until
it is slightly sticky and then screws it in. The Permatex works the same way
as the LocTite, or even white glue, allowed to dry prior to screwing the
Softie in.
My best for now,
Tom A

Tom Abrahamsson