Subject: [Leica] M's & tripods in France: a data point
From: "Alexey J. Merz" <Alexey.Merz@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:17:35 -0400

There has been some discussion here recently of difficulties
photographing in France, with and without tripods. Thought I'd share
some experiences. First, I've had no problems whatsoever, street
shooting or otherwise -- NONE of the problems reported by others on the
list. That said, I have avoided trying to take a tripod into interior
locations. Fact is though, tripods are often not needed if one is
shooting an M with fast optics.

A case in point: St. Chapelle. The image that is linked to below was
shot with an M6 HM and 35/1.4 ASPH, wide open at 1/15th on Kodachrome
64 -- HAND-HELD, using Stephanie's shoulder as a support. The link will
download an image of about 400 kB:

http://www.webcom.com/alexey/images/chapelledet.jpg

The top image shows about 90% of the frame. If your monitor is set to 80
dpi this is roughly a 6X enlargement. The following three images
correspond to the three grey rectangles in the 6X image. Each of these
insets in enlarged another 10X, yielding a ~60 X final enlargement.

The jpegs shown don't do full justice to the transparency. I have 20 X
24 optical enlargements of this image on Fuji Crystal Archive, and these
enlargements reveal even better microcontrast/fine detail than do the
scans (Polaroid SS4000).

I conclude that a bit of trial and error (do I even have to say that
many images taken under comparable conditions have more motion blur?),
combined with wide, fast modern Leica glass and slow film, can often
eliminate the need for a tripod.

Cheers,

Alexey

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] M's & tripods in France: a data point)