Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: wk38/sl
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 13:32:49 -0700

Steve LeHuray wrote:
>>>something that is consistent in my photos is LACK of eye contact. I do
not know if that is good or bad because I have always tried to avoid photos
with people looking into camera, but maybe I will do some with eye contact
and see how it works out.<<<<

Hi Steve,

Your wk 38 shot would've lost it's appeal if these guys were looking at you
unless you were doing some kind of portrait thing with them. And if only one
of them was looking at you the whole meaning of candidacy would be lost. And
I bet you'd never have printed it.

Eye contact is fine if there's a reason for eye contact, otherwise it
appears as though the subject looking at you has just discovered you taking
their picture and looking at you for no apparent reason.

It works like this, well OK for me, eye contact for a reason, otherwise
you're doing a street candid of life as it goes on and you're an invisible
element of that and you don't want people aware of you because.... you are
invisible! Right?

It's a solid evening available light street scene and illustrates one more
time, one doesn't require a twinkie light flash if you know how to use your
equipment and understand film/development use! ;-) And have no fear of what
you can see, you can shoot!

Another good one Steve!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited