Subject: Re: [Leica] Self introduction and first info-seeking topic
From: Rei Shinozuka <shino@ubspainewebber.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2001 07:16:34 -0400 (EDT)

i really enjoyed these links, dante.

although i haven't used my N*k*ns for a decade, i remember my F3s as
my last japanese cameras that were more machine than computer. and i do
think guigiaro sculpted a very good-looking machine.

it's sure fun to read about.

in answer to your question  about the F3, your own link gives an answer:

http://www.nikon.co.jp/main/eng/society/rhnc/rhnc11shut2-e.htm

   However, Nikon's top SLR model --- the F3 (1980) --- still employed a
   horizontal-travel shutter.
   Vertical-travel shutters were inferior to horizontal-travel shutters in a
     number of ways.
  The vertical-travel shutter had lower bearing capacity in film advancing,
     lower durability, and it allowed more light to enter when the mirror
     was up.
  To apply a vertical-travel shutter to the the F3's successors, Nippon Kogaku
     (renamed as Nikon in 1988) had to first clear those hurdles.
  They continued studying and developing new shutter blades and related parts
     in order to create a higher-performance vertical-travel shutter for the
     F4.

thanks again for the links.

- -rei