Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 75/1.4
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:56:33 -0700

Chandos wrote:

>>>> Vey cool lens, but I sold mine.<<<<<

Thank you Chandos now I don't feel alone as I did the same with mine. It's a
fine lens no doubt about it, just not my cuppa tea as a working lens.

When I purchased mine early on it's arrival on the scene I shot a several
rolls with it  and was impressed, but not blown away, as it seemed to be not
close enough or just too close.  Not to mention eye clutter confusion in the
M6 viewfinder when it was mounted, as I found I had to concentrate on the
viewfinder to stay within the 75 markings more than what I was shooting and
that's bad news!

But I took it on assignment to Russia on a Chernobyl Children project about
the kids and clean-up crews after the explosion of the nuclear power
station.

One should never ever take a new piece of gear on a real time shoot unless
you're prepared to blow some of the images. But if you have the feel of the
new lens or camera before leaving, missed images shouldn't be a problem,
right?

Well guess what, the thing that caused me frustration during the first rolls
getting the handling down, "the cluttered viewfinder which marks for what
lens" became my down fall and the screaming hoppy toads when I arrived home
after 6 weeks of shooting hundreds of rolls of film......

Chopped head! Time after time, frame and roll after roll..... I couldn't
believe I'd screwed - up so many frames. And it wasn't a shoot you could hop
on a plane , get back and re-shoot a bunch of them!

The lens was gone overnight and will never grace an M camera of mine again!

Hell all you need to compensate for the distance of a 75 while a 50 is
mounted is to take one giant step forward and your at the same image size as
the 75 or very close. And if one is going beyond a 50 with the an M, one
might as well go f 2.0 90 and make the shot really worth while.

So I'm putting money into some new Leica glass shortly, however, be assured
it wont be for a 75!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant