Subject: Re: [Leica] My Leica Pictures for Sonny :)
From: "SonC (Sonny Carter)" <sonc@sonc.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 09:43:43 -0500

Thanks, Alfie,  I had not had a good look at what that Mini 3 camera
was capable of.   These are moody shots, with quite a lot of contrast.
I like the slice of life, and your composition looks nice.

Just a thought; do you think the camera is correctly identifying the
film as 1600 ISO?  Some of those automatic film speed setting devices
have a cut-off at 400 ISO. Check your instruction book.

This may be the reason for the lack of detail in your dark areas.  I
copied one of the shots and looked at it in Photoshop, and when you
pull the gamma to a happier level, the grain of the neopan really pops
out.

You might be happier with the results using a film like Portra BW or
XP2 or some other 400 ISO Chromagenic film that has immense latitude,
so you can get those candids in low light.  I've been really happy
with Portra BW in low light situations.

By the way, an interesting essay from a satisfied user of the Leica
Mini 3 can be found at http://www.bhalu.com/naveen/leica/

Keep shooting!

Regards,
Sonny