Subject: RE: [Leica] My Leica Pictures for Sonny :)
From: "Wang, Albert" <Albert.Wang@ibx.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 08:33:59 -0400

Hi there Sonny,

>Just a thought; do you think the camera is correctly identifying the
>film as 1600 ISO?

I double checked the manual which I still have and it does register 1600 ISO
as the highest level... of course, my Yashica T4 can probably have more
tolerance for it. The main reason I think that there is high contrast is
because the flash never went off during any of the shots... indeed I won't
want that during my church classes however! :)

>Some of those automatic film speed setting devices
>have a cut-off at 400 ISO. Check your instruction book.

Will do :)

>This may be the reason for the lack of detail in your dark areas.  I
>copied one of the shots and looked at it in Photoshop, and when you
>pull the gamma to a happier level, the grain of the neopan really pops
>out.

Indeed that's the point of course if you want to I have some pictures of
church scenes taken on Ilford Professional Delta 400 and the contrast is
lessened quite a bit...

>You might be happier with the results using a film like Portra BW or
>XP2 or some other 400 ISO Chromagenic film that has immense latitude,
>so you can get those candids in low light.  I've been really happy
>with Portra BW in low light situations.

Of course I am considering using the Ilford HP5 because I heard that true
black and white is preferred... however the XP2 looks solid... I did read a
glowing review of the Portra B and W in PHotographic and a middling review
in the SHutterbug... cool beans I guess.

>By the way, an interesting essay from a satisfied user of the Leica
>Mini 3 can be found at http://www.bhalu.com/naveen/leica/

Cool webpage indeed. Of course, I don't consider the Mini 3 (which got
jacked recently) as an amateur tool... it's a serious backup along with my
Yashica T4 Weatherproof (for rain and snow)...

>Keep shooting!

Unfortunately I won't be able to use the Mini 3 anymore... it got jacked
while I was at a train station (somehow my Canonet 19QL brings me the worst
of luck--I nearly got attacked by a person protesting the war yesterday...
and I thought that protestors were peaceful, such hypocrites) at Folcroft...
it sucks definitely but I got a replacement Mini which works just as well I
believe and certainly delivers the goods in most situations. :)... right now
there's always the Yashica T4 :)

Thanks for your support and if ya want to, you can look at some of my other
Leica pictures done on Ilford :)

your fellow shooter,
Alfie :)
DISCLAIMER