Subject: [Leica] air travel USA to Europe ?
From: William Gower <w.gower@home.com>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2001 18:33:40 -0400

Steve

I flew back from Paris on the 23rd (last week). After fighting with the
airline so that I didn't have to put my Leicas in my CHECKED Baggage, we
settled on having the batteries removed and disposed. My camera bag was then
x-rayed and business was "per usual". No hand inspections either - all my
film including six rolls each of Neopan 1600 and TMax 3200 went through the
machine.

The "trouble" came when, as the airline consolidated a few flights, instead
of flying non-stop to Toronto, the flight was diverted to Moncton, NB,
Canada. There we had to disembark and go through customs, then re-board the
plane.

Transport Canada was playing by different rules, and since my lightmeter had
no batteries, it didn't "work" - and they wouldn't allow it on the plane.

Logical eh ?

So, my lightmeter was "security bagged", x-rayed and was secured by the
cabin crew until we landed in Toronto.

I would have been peeved, but it is for our safety. I just wish the rules
were consistent across the board. Time will tell, I guess.

Regards

William

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> ([Leica] Security and Selenium Meters)
Reply from "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] air travel USA to Europe ?)