Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica Lenses To Fit The Leica M3?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 16:30:24 -0400

At 12:28 PM 10/1/01 -0700, Barb Cutler wrote:
>I have just come into possession of a Leica m3.  I consider this a gift from
>God! I was wondering if there are other lenses besides Leica that will fit
>the m-3? This is a beginner's question, but I am just beginning to get
>acquainted with my wonderful gift. Thanks for any suggestions.

Well, the answer is yes-and-no.  The yes part is that at least one company
is now offering lenses in Leica M mount, and the Chinese made a very few
around a quarter of a century ago to please Madame Mao.  Beyond this,
though, the pickings are non-existent.

However, one of the many genius aspects of the design is that adapters can
be used to fit Leica thread-mount lenses to the M camera.  These adapters
are readily available used -- Leitz sold them for almost 40 years -- and
Stephen Gandy markets some really nice -- and inexpensive -- ones new, as
well.  (BEWARE the "anonymous" adapters sold in the '50's and '60's --
these guys are easily bent and often are more of a pain than a solution.)
There are three adapters, one for wide-angles, one for normal lenses, and
one for telephotos.  (On your M3, these would bring up the 50mm, 90mm, and
135mm framelines, incidentally;  on the M2/M4/M5/M6, they bring up
different framelines.)  I believe Stephen Gandy's website is
http://www.cameraquest.com

With a set of these adapters, the rich 70-year heritage of LTM lenses is
open to you, ranging from Leitz lenses (produced in LTM from 1931 to 1966,
and again in very small runs in the past year or two) to a wide variety of
Japanese lenses -- again, going from some really mediocre coke-bottles to
the superb Canon and Nikon glass -- and European and US made lenses such as
Zeiss, Schneider, Kodak, Wollensak, real Voigtländer, Enna, Ross, Wray, SOM
Berthiot, Old Delft, &c &c.  Today, Cosina manufactures a highly regarded
range of LTM lenses both under their own name and under that of
Voigtländer, as do a couple of other Japanese firms, while the fine Russian
clones of the Prewar Zeiss Contax RF lenses have only recently left
production.  (And, again, I find the Russian lenses the finest deal
available, as these lenses are often available for under $100 -- but beware
of Quality Control and demand a right of return!)

There is a most helpful work which covers most of the European and US LTM
lenses -- NON-LEITZ LEICA THREAD-MOUNT LENSES:  A 39mm DIVERSITY, which I
recommend you purchase and read.  It is available from Petra Kellers at
http://www.camerabooks.com  <he grins slyly, knowing the quality of the work>.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!