Subject: [Leica] Re: Xtol newbie
From: Rolfe Tessem <rolfe@ldp.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 09:24:49 -0400

> Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 10:31:28 -0700
> From: Ken Benderly <benderly2@home.com>
> Subject: [Leica] Xtol newbie
> I've read so much good stuff about Xtol 1:3 that I had to go out a buy
> some.  Last night I mixed it and developed a few rolls.  Part A turns a
> little pink/orange in the water, right?  And it takes a really long time
> to dissolve at 20 C.  Adding part B turns it milky white until
> completely dissolved.  The label says the shelf life in a full bottle is
> one year.  Yeah baby!!
>
> I developed two rolls of Tmax 400.  Tmax 400 in D76 1:1 gives pretty hot
> negatives.  Perhaps this is why people object to the Tmax stuff.  With
> the Xtol 1:3 20 C for 15 1/2 minutes the TMY looked fairly subdued, kind
> of like my Tri-X days.  I'll hit the darkroom tomorrow to see what I can
> get out of the Xtol.
>
> What are the favorite films with Xtol?  Do people like Tmax, Delta, or
> others?

The new Delta 400 in Xtol 1:1 is wonderful. Also, don't overlook Tri-X,
which benefits from slightly lower grain and slightly faster speed with
Xtol (versus D-76).

I'm not sure what point there is in diluting any further than 1:1. In
fact, if you use a Jobo you really can't go any more dilute than 1:1 or
you won't have enough stock developer to actually develop the film. See
the Kodak web pages for more details on this.

One other thing about Xtol: When it goes bad, it doesn't turn dark or
anything it just stops working. Make note of the date you mix up the
stock and try to keep air out of the bottle of stock as you use it.
Personally, I divide the 5 liters into 5 separate 1 liter glass bottles
and this works well for me.

As one other respondent noted, you can mix it up a lot hotter than 20C.
Check the back of the package.

As always, YMMV.

Rolfe Tessem
NYC