Subject: [Leica] Reid Leica Copies
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 11:40:13 -0400

At 07:25 AM 10/2/01 -0700, Brian Reid wrote:
>I've looked into the "Reid" Leica copies. Sure wish I had one.
>
>The drawings weren't stolen from Leica. They were captured from the Germans
>when the Allied armies took Wetzlar.

Brian

Hans P Rajner states that, "Reid & Sigrist, contrary to rumours, never
copied the Leica with the permission of Leitz, never violated Leitz patent
rights, nor helped itself to design documents recieved by Britain as war
reparations." LEICA COPIES 38.  However, Leitz patents were earlier forfeit
under the Alien Properties' Act of 1939, so he does not rule out that such
were ever used in the development of the Reid camera.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bąs fir gun ghrąs fir!

Message from "Wang, Albert" <Albert.Wang@ibx.com> ([Leica] Does anyone know the history or info about the Reid Leica copy ca meras?)