Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: New Aviation Rules
From: "Zeissler, Mitch" <mzeissle@gcipoa.gannett.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 09:47:31 -0400

Hmmm.  I know I have made cell calls in the past from within a
commercial airliner, both at the gate and while during long waits on the
tarmac [not in the air though].  I'm sorry, but I don't buy the
"completely enclosed metallic structure" gambit; airplanes have windows.
Try using a GPS unit in them sometime; the signal is quite strong near
the window and fades as the GPS unit is moved away.  Also, I can get
pager messages and cell phone calls in a completely enclosed metal
elevator as it is traveling; just depends on the strength of the
signals.

It was widely published and broadcast throughout the news media that one
of the doomed passengers on the plane that crashed in Pennsylvania was
talking to his family on his cell phone in the aircraft restroom just
before it augured in.  I don't believe any of the on-board phones have
cords that stretch more than 18 to 24 inches, so I don't agree with your
opinion on that item either.

/Mitch Zeissler