Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V21 #4
From: "Alexey J. Merz" <Alexey.Merz@Dartmouth.EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 14:00:15 -0400

On Friday, October 5, 2001, at 12:57 , Leica Users digest wrote:

> Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2001 09:50:28 -0400
> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] System Compatibility and Equipment Reliability
>

>> The Leica M is truly the Land Rover of the photographic world!
>>
>> --Jim Laurel
>

> NOT to get the stupid 'what kind of car is a Leica?' thread going again,
> but the above may just be the best car/Leica M analogy I've seen....Both
> Land Rover and Leica are stripped down, basic tools, built to take
> abuse, built to last, built to get the job done and survive unto the
> next generation.....(and sometimes built in a haphazard way. But when
> you get a good one, you're set for a long long time...)

Maybe, but I think the Nikon F or F2 is the Land Rover of the photo
world. Tough, versatile, goes everywhere - a supreme genrealist.

The M Leica is a Lotus Super Seven! Stripped to the bones, all about
performance, not versatile enough get you anywhere you might want to
go - but on the street, nothing could possibly be better: as little
machinery as possible between the driver and the road and performance to
burn. User interface? It's *all* interface.

I've linked to this essay before but it really makes the point well, and
does *not* talk about cars...

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/7.01/eno_pr.html
Alexey Merz • alexey@webcom.com • alexey@dartmouth.edu • 603/464-6840
http://www.webcom.com/alexey • PGP public key: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/

              A democracy becomes hopelessly weak, and the general good
              suffers accordingly, if its higher officials, bred up to
              despise it, and necessarily drawn from those very classes
              the dominance of which it is pledged to destroy, serve it
              only half-heartedly.   - Marc Bloch, _Strange Defeat_, 1940