Subject: Re: [Leica] Investment decisions......
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2001 10:12:58 -0400

No s**t.....The folks who are pointing to the last 12 months and the
disintegration of their portfolios as some sort of proof that Leica
cameras are good investment are really looking at the world through very
cracked lenses. The market goes up and down, guys/gals. Frankly, anyone
who invested in dot.coms etc. for more than a very brief ride had all
the sense and sanity of the folks who invested in tulips in, what, the
17th century, or in any of the other great and notorious bubbles of the
past. The question is not what did portfolios do recently, but what
happens to, let's say, $1000 invested in blue chips over a 10 year
period worth versus what happens to $1000 invest in Leica equipment. And
you KNOW the answer to that one.

Buy Leica gear because a. It is the best photographic tool for your
purposes; b. You enjoy using it, whether or not it is the best tool you
could be using; c. It makes you feel really special because you know
your neighbors can't afford it and you can; d. Using it makes you think
that every shot you take of the grandchildren belongs in the MOMA along
side an exhibit of HCBs.

But DON'T buy it because you think it is going to make you
money....unless, I suppose, you are buying one of the first three
original Os, or M3 #1, or some such...and even then I would bet that the
real investment value, in terms of the value increasing markedly, has
already been realized.

B. D.

All of the above is strictly the personal opinion of the author and is
definitely not endorsed by any of his employers or by virtually anyone
who know him - none of whom would trust him to invest a dime for
them..;-)