Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica sighting
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 11:23:19 -0700

Dan Post responded to:
>>>One of Reza's cameras is a Leica M.> > > Oliver Bryk

> from Dan Post
> > Boy! Anyone who'd risk their Leica like that certainly needs their head
> > examined!!  <<<<

Sonny Carter in response:
>> Gee Dan,  I think he was using his Leica to take pictures.  I know they
have >other uses, but I guess I risk my Leica all the time then, albeit not
in as rough a
> territory.  When the conditions are not good, that's when you take your
most  >reliable cameras along.   What's the point in having a quality camera
if you are >afraid of using it when the chips may be down?<<<<

Hi Sonny,
Of course when you're assigned to shoot some place unhealthy so's to speak
the only thing one considers is, not getting killed or otherwise! The gear
is all replaceable, your body and bones aren't!  Plus the excitement of the
unknown! That's the bonus! ;-)

Like you covering wild events and those of  Mother Nature as I have, we in
each case put the gear second of really important things list. Sure we
protect it to the best of our ability, but if push comes to shove it's
always been my sweet ass that gets first protection consideration. :-)

The gear can always be replaced, my old or young bod can't be! ;-)

And if we put the gear first, second or last before the excitement of
shooting we'd be little old guys sitting at home playing checkers or
watching TV . Or just plain dead!

>> Perhaps the answer to your comment is that anyone who would shoot news
and
documentary should have their head examined, though in the "decisive
moment," give me a reliable camera.<<<<

And what better piece of gear than a manual everything M whatever model!
It's like the Ever Ready bunny.... they just keep going and going and going
! ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant