Subject: [Leica] Re: [OT] Dr. Blacktape drinks the economic Kool-Aid
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 08:46:32 -0400

> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> writes:
>
> No s**t.....The folks who are pointing to the last 12 months and the
> disintegration of their portfolios as some sort of proof that Leica
> cameras are good investment are really looking at the world
> through very
> cracked lenses. The market goes up and down, guys/gals. Frankly, anyone
> who invested in dot.coms etc. for more than a very brief ride had all
> the sense and sanity of the folks who invested in tulips in, what, the
> 17th century, or in any of the other great and notorious bubbles of the
> past. The question is not what did portfolios do recently, but what
> happens to, let's say, $1000 invested in blue chips over a 10 year
> period worth versus what happens to $1000 invest in Leica
> equipment. And
> you KNOW the answer to that one.

Indeed I do: it depends on which 'blue chips' you hold, and it
depends on the 10-year period you choose. For example, if you had
chosen a representative cross section of the Dow and invested for
any 10 years during the interval 1965-1982, you would have been
disappointed.

See, for evidence:
http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=^DJI&d=c&t=my&l=on&z=b&q=l

I think that we have entered another similar period of stagnation,
though I hope this time that it will last less than 17 years.

Alexey Merz
Department of Biochemistry
Dartmouth Medical School, Hanover NH 03755-3844
alexey@webcom.com | alexey@dartmouth.edu
603-650-1702 | http://www.webcom.com/alexey/

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: [OT] Dr. Blacktape drinks the economic Kool-Aid)