Subject: Re: [Leica] Hummingbird
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 07:50:02 -0700

Roy Zartarian wrote:
>>> The add-on was an extension tube in order to move in closer, not
> the 1.4x or 2x extender.  With great shame - :-) - I will confess
> before all the LUG that I used both a tripod and a twinkie light.
> After examining the results, however, I think I'll stay with the usual
> 'fly outfit - 100 macro and 2x.<<<

Hi Roy,
You're on the right track using the macro extenuation tube, but here's a
little trick that I've used a number of times and it makes for "interesting
macro" things. Although your combination of 100 Macro and 2X extender make
for a nice comfortable reach.

Use the 280 with the 1.4 or 2x extender, "plus the macro adapter" extension
tube for extending the focus range of a 400 or 560. Now you have the extra
reach of the longer lens and you're not right on top of the critter you wish
to photograph. Less intimidating to butterfly or bird.

By the way, sometime try both 1.4 and 2X together along with the macro
adapter and you'll go wild! :-)

And in this case no confession is necessary on the "twinkie light and
tripod! ;-) After all, there are times when good old fashion common sense
dictates when and where to use both. :-)

Good hunting. You coming to the Leica Seminar next week in Kennebunkport?
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant